What is the overall absolute best wireless microphone system on the market, and why? We looked closely at every single wireless microphone system on the market. Based off research, personal experience, reviews, and at times contacting a few engineers, we found a clear winner.
Without spending upwards of $7000-$10000, the absolute best wireless microphone system is the Shure QLXD24/B87A. It is more than capable of handling any application except for stadiums.
Below is the in-depth analysis of why the Shure QLXD24/B87A is our top wireless microphone pick for houses of worship, concerts, corporate events, singing for any voice type, DJ’s, speeches, and speeches or talks in need of security.
What Makes A Wireless Microphone System Good?
- Reliability -Signal strength, little to no dropouts or interference
- Durability- Able to last long and withstand vigorous touring conditions
- Microphone Sound Quality- How good is the sound quality of the microphone. Does the wireless negatively impact the microphone quality compared to a cord?
- Convenience- Battery life, battery type (disposable vs rechargeable), setup simplicity, how many compatible transmitters.
- Range- Able to have a strong signal to cover a big stage or perform/speak throughout the audience.
We broke down each of these factors for the Shure QLXD24/B87A Digital Wireless Microphone System
Before We Get Started:
Features And Details Of The Shure QLXD24/B87A
- Able to change the microphone capsule for incredible flexibility
- Secure transmission with AES 256-bit encryption
- LCD menu
- Digital predictive switching diversity ensures strong reliability and signal strength
- Above 120dB dynamic range
- One-touch sync function to connect transmitter and receiver for easy setup
- Mute feature
- Very low latency at 2.9ms
- Transmitters compatible with the receiver are available in a variety of forms such as handheld, bodypack, headworn, lavalier, and instrument clip-on.
- Durable metal receiver
- Mac, PC, and iOS-compatible for remote operation
- 60 simultaneous systems per band
Reliability and Signal Strength
Reliability and signal strength is one of the most critical factors when determining a good wireless microphone system. I have witnessed too many shows ruined because the singer’s mic kept cutting out. After a few times, the singer will focus more on the fear of the mic cutting out again rather than the performance. It is vital to get a microphone with incredible frequency agility that’s able to dodge interference. Thus, to our next point.
The Reason Why The Shure QLXD24/B87A Has Incredible Signal Strength And Reliability
For one, its One-touch sync function feature automatically scans for the most robust open channels. This feature is an essential factor in reducing interference and dropouts.
Another incredible feature the QLXD24 has for a reliable RF connection is its digital predictive switching diversity. The 2 antennas work independently scanning for the clearest open channel. If one antenna receives interference, the other antenna unnoticeably picks up the transmission. The antennas consistently scan for the clearest open channel without pressing a button.
Shure QLXD24/B87A Durability + Longevity
Many wireless microphone systems that claim to be made of metal still however have parts made of plastic. Both the receiver and the Microphone for the Shure QLXD24/B87A are entirely made of metal with no plastic parts. This fact alone dramatically increases its durability and longevity that will protect your investment for years to come.
For touring bands or traveling, metal units are significantly more “roadworthy” than plastic units. Your music equipment is consistently being tossed around when you are touring from state to state. Whether it is from the van/bus, back into the van/bus, or the singer who dances across stage with the mic. Overall, the Shure QLXD24/B87A made of only metal is a huge plus.
Sound Quality (Beta 87A Microphone)
Out of every single wireless microphone I have experienced first hand, the Beta 87A sound quality is second to none. There are a few reasons why this wireless microphone produces such an incredibly rich, detailed, and bright vocal response.
The B87A that comes with this system is a supercardioid condenser microphone. In general, condenser microphones are typically used in the studio that is much more articulate and detailed. They tend to pick up all the nuances of your voice with the downside of picking up sound elsewhere. Contrary to that belief, I and most users of this mic claim there are no issues with picking up unwanted noise with the B87A mic while maintaining the positive benefits of a condenser. One reason may be the microphone polar pattern being a supercardioid that helps reject unwanted background noise.
The fact that the Beta 87A is a rare condenser microphone optimized for live performance alone is a giant reason the sound quality is of the highest grade by Shure. However, that is not the only reason that gives the Shure QLXD24/B87A such fantastic sound quality.
The system provides a 24-bit/48K sampling rate for the purest digital transmission. With a frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz while the mic gives you 50Hz-20kHz allows all the frequencies of the vocal spectrum to be heard. The very low latency is unnoticeable at 2.9ms while reaping the positive benefits of a digital rather than an analog system. Last but not least, the Shure QLXD24/B87A gives you above 120dB of dynamic range.
The Shure QLXD 4 receiver is made of all metal with two fold-able antenna’s. The picture, however, makes it seem bigger than it actually is. It’s conveniently small, making it easy to travel with.
Many systems have poor lighting on the front screen that can make it hard to see the menu. This can become a very stressful situation for certain last-minute adjustments on a lit stage or outside. Luckily, the QLXD 4’s receiver provides a very bright screen with LCD lights to easily navigate through the menus regardless of the scenery.
The Shure QLXD 24 is an overall very convenient wireless microphone system for a number of reasons.
- The receiver is rack-mountable, which in it of itself is a massive benefit for those with a rackmount.
- An easy setup, its One-touch sync function feature automatically scans for the most robust open channels
- The microphone gives you the option to either use 2 AA batteries, or Shures state-of-the-art rechargeable lithium-ion battery that provides 10 hours of playtime per charge. The Shure’s lithium-ion battery saves you money from cutting out consistent battery purchases. It also saves a great deal of hassle that comes with disposable batteries.
Shure QLXD24/B87A Range
The Shure QLXD 24/B87A provides a vast amount of range for a digital wireless microphone of 300 feet. Imagine crowd surfing a football field of your fans. Three hundred feet gives you more than enough room to cover any event, concert, stage, house of worship, etc.! With the QLXD 24, range will never be an issue.
The Benefits Of The QLXD24/B87A Being Digital Rather Than Analog
In Short, digital wireless microphone systems have arguably better audio clarity. Analog systems must struggle to keep the dynamic range within a legal bandwidth of 200 kilohertz by using companders and pre-emphasis that have their limits in high frequencies. These audio limits are erased with a digital wireless system, thus, much better sound quality.
Digital Wireless Mic Benefits
- Batteries last 30-40% longer.
- Digital systems can give a flat frequency across the entire audio range. The sound of the capsule will not be affected where analog has a higher chance that it would be.
- Has less of a chance the radio link or Rf noise will affect the signal.
- Depending on the manufacturer and model, digital systems can often deliver nearly twice the channels in the same slice of the spectrum as their analog counterparts.
- Digital systems can produce roughly twice the channels in the same spectrum. This is not the case for all systems; it depends on the manufacturer make and model. Unfortunately, to get the clear and crisp audio of digital wireless under challenging circumstances, the wireless systems are typically on the more expensive side.
- Signal encryption is perfect for information-sensitive events.
What Is The Shure QLXD24/B87A Best Used For?
- Corporate/event bands
- Live Vocals
- Speeches in need of security with its AES 256-bit encryption
- Houses Of Worship
Using The QLXD24/B87A For Speakers & Talks
Most events will require you to provide sound support for any speeches and toasts. With 300 feet of range, speakers can walk around the venue without any sound dropouts. Some of these details may sound minor, but they speak volumes to the client and 3rd parties of each event. In turn, creating more future gigs/weddings/events.
The Shure QLXD24/B87A uses AES 256-bit encryption that provides the highest level of security. For essential speeches where hacks or breaches are not an option, the QLXD series is the 1st option from Shure’s engineers.
How To Set Up The Shure QLXD24/B87A
With only two button-presses, the Shure QLXD24/B87A provides one of the easiest setups in the wireless microphone realm. The feature that have many people raving about its easy setup is the one-touch sync function.
|Battery Type:||2 AA, Shure Lithium-ion|
|Transmitter Battery Life:||9 Hours|
|Simultaneous Systems Per Band:||60|
|Frequency Range:||470-534 MHz|
|Microphone Polar Pattern:||Supercardioid|
|Mic Frequency Response:||50Hz-20kHz|
|System Frequency Response:||20Hz-20kHz|
Why Use Wireless Over A Wired Microphone?
There are many benefits of using a wireless microphone over a wired one. First of all, aesthetic. For bands and DJ’s that play weddings, wireless is an absolute must. It’s abnormally tacky to pass off a wired microphone to the newlyweds’ family member for his or her speech. DJ’s and MC’s that perform high-energy shows outside weddings need the wireless freedom to move around and excite the crowd.
Being attached to an electric leash will significantly hurt your performance and put a damper on delivering your best live show. Going wireless allows you to reach your maximum stage presence potential instead of worrying about tripping on, stepping on, or pulling out your mic cable, using a wireless enables you the freedom to reach your maximum potential.
Wireless microphones also decrease the cable spaghetti on the stage floor. A stage filled with cables all over the floor looks tacky and unprofessional. A clean stage boosts the overall visual performance of the show and makes for a safer performance area.
To Sum It Up
The Shure QLXD24/B87A is the all-around best wireless microphone system without spending 5000 dollars. It checks all the boxes at a competitive price. We highly recommend this wireless microphone system for just about any application.
If you’re interested in shopping more high-quality wireless microphone systems, view our top 5 here.
Interested in a coffee grinder with a hopper? see our top picks here.
If you’re interested in a coffee grinder with a removable chamber, see our top choices here.